The Mandela Day 2019 Anti-Litter Challenge
Mandela Day is is celebrated on 18 July every year in celebration of Nelson Mandela’s life on his birthday. It was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009, with the first UN Mandela Day held on 18 July 2010.
Every year, on the day, members of the public are encouraged to emulate Mandela’s selfless service to the nation and commit 67 minutes of service to others in the community. In that spirit, and to acknowledge Madiba’s deep love for South Africa’s natural beauty, CapeNature has decided this year to challenge you to a do a litter clean up in your community for 67 minutes, a #DontBeTrashyChallenge.
Most litter ends up in our water ways and the ocean and has a severe impact on the natural environment. The process starts with each one of us – reduce your consumption of disposable items and re-use and recycle plastic, glass, tin and paper. Start in your own home and then begin a recycling or litter prevention project at your school or in your community.
Send your litter clean-up image to firstname.lastname@example.org and stand a chance to win a complimentary two-night CapeNature getaway for four persons!
Terms and Conditions
- One entry per person.
- Entries open 17 July and close on 19 July at midnight.
- Only entries sent via email to email@example.com will be accepted.
- Photographic proof (between 1 and 2 MB) must be provided of the clean up with a before and after image.
- All entries will be placed in a random draw and one winner will be selected.
- The winner of the two-night getaway at a CapeNature reserve will be announced on CapeNature’s digital platforms.