Walking and Hiking
Rocherpan has two short hiking trails, one along the beach and one along the vlei. Both offer stunning views and the chance to see the area’s rich birdlife. There are two well-laid hiking paths through the reserve. Both are relatively easy walks taking no longer than four hours each.
Permits may be purchased for R40 per adult and R20 per child at the reserve office or through CapeNature Central Reservations.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen and a hat.
- Do not hike alone.
- Carry enough food and water with you.
- Make sure you know what the weather conditions are before you depart.
- Take a warm jacket/raincoat in winter.
- Make sure you have a relevant map of the area.
- Take a field medical kit with you for emergencies.
- Obey all signage.
- Stay in a group and on the trails.
Trail distance: 9km
Estimated time: 3–4 hours return
This is a gentle walk along the pan. The soils harden as you make your way across the reserve. Start early in summer, as the day heats up quickly.
Trail distance: 7km
Estimated time: 3 hours return
This is a lovely walk to the lookout point and back along the beach. We recommend you take a picnic basket to enjoy at the point. In summer, it is best to hike early in the morning to avoid the midday heat.