Overlooking the Indian ocean, with spectacular views of the Robberg Peninsula, the renovated wooden shack sleeps eight people in four double bunk beds in an open-plan room. Only one group can book at a time.
Fountain Shack cannot be reached by vehicle and the route takes about two hours to walk (the route is not suitable for young children and should not be attempted in rain, mist or darkness).
The route starts at the car park and is marked with a seal icon. Follow the route onto a boardwalk and turn right at the Fountain Shack signboard. Follow the boardwalk until it gives way to rock rambling. Please regard this stretch with extreme caution because of strong winds and sheer cliffs! There is another route through Witsand which takes 20 minutes longer but is safer. Do not lose your way with all the rocks – there are cement steps that should guide you. The next stretch is a 600m beach walk that leads onto a footpath into the last section of climbing again before you see Fountain Shack. On departure, you can take the same route back or continue with the circular route past the Point – will take approximately one and half to two hours to the car park depending on one’s level of fitness. The walk to the hut requires a reasonably high level of fitness.
- Children must be at all times under adult supervision. The walk to Fountain Shack is strenuous and requires a level of fitness. Unfit persons not use to climbing will find this route difficult and should not attempt it.
- The area is subject to quick changes in weather and tides.
- The terrain to and from the hut is rugged and surfaces uneven, the rocks are slippery, especially when wet.
Please phone 087 087 3937 or 082 8777435 to enquire about weather conditions before embarking on your journey to Robberg. CapeNature reserves the right to cancel a booking if there are adverse weather conditions.
Available at the Fountain Shack: two pots, a pan, a braai grid and tongs, a kettle, tripod, stainless steel mugs, plates and wine goblets, four bunk beds (with mattresses and covers and pillows), an outside shower and an Enviro Loo, a two-burner gas stove, solar power for lighting, limited water and hot wat
Not available at the Fountain Shack: electricity, bedding, firewood, firelighters, supply of water (rainwater may be available).
We supply a bag of charcoal for every night booked (which you at the entrance gate and need to carry yourself);a black bag to collect your waste which must be brought out with you; a set of keys for the hut and toilet.
Kindly note that wood is not allowed into the reserve, however eco-logs can be bought at reserve gate.
Remember to bring drinking water; a First Aid Kit, firelighters, torch, sleeping bag; towels; mosquito repellent; shoes with a firm grip for rock rambling; sunhat; sun protection cream; warm clothes for the evenings; bait for fishing (it is not permitted to make bait in the reserve). Rodney Manual can be contacted for a portage service at 0799338229.
- Although there are signboards asking day hikers to pass by, it will be necessary to secure the shack and the Enviro Loo when leaving the shack to explore the area.
- Beware dangerous currents when swimming, snorkeling or diving.
- On your day of departure, please clean the shack for the next group – there only one cleaning service per week – and take all your waste with you (black bags provided in your overnight kit) and lock the shack and the loo. The bag and keys must be handed to the gate guard.
- Please use the water sparingly when showering - the shower is only fed by rainwater of which there is a limited supply.
Arrival/Departure: Last departure times in order to reach The Fountain Shack before dark are 15:00 in winter and 16:00 in summer. The entrance gate times are: 07:00 to 20:00 (1 October – 30 April) and 7:00 to 18:00 (1 May to 31 September). No entrance or exit is possible outside these times. Departure time is 10:00 and arrival time is after 14:00.
Please refrain from: smoking, disturbing any plants or animals in the reserve or in the marine area, littering, bait collecting, fishing without a valid permit, the misuse of alcohol.
- Fountain Shack Overnight Trail (sleeps 8 people)
- 1-4 persons per night
- Additional p/p/n Off Peak
- R180 (max of 8 people)
- Additional p/p/n Peak
- Off-Peak Fee
- R1 160
- Peak Fee
- R1 930